Thursday, September 16, 2010

Shop til you drop



Got back from the shopping capital of the world yesterday. Tokyo's probably got the biggest selection of vintage clothes shops in the world. I think I've must have visited between 100 and 150 vintage stores during my six day stay. Of course I went to a lot of stores just carrying new stuff as well but the vintage stuff is what really stands out from the rest of the world. Nice interior, very good selection and often color and brand coordinated. Being from Sweden the Yen is really expensive. This is a big problem when you go shopping in Tokyo, wanting to buy stuff in every store you visit. But not being able to buy a tenth of it cause of the prices and the fact that there's so much good stuff everywhere you couldn't possibly buy half even if the Yen was worth half as much as it is.


1. Beige and black vintage shirts from PRL 2. Jersey cotton jacket from UNI QLO 3. Vintage denim jacket from Levi's 4. Jacket from Japanese label Gung Ho

1. Got these at Groovy in Shimo-Kitazawa. This store has a huge rack of PRL shirts in all colors and sizes. Last time I went here I bought three shirts that are all way too big for me nowadays so I felt I had to come back and get some new ones, in a smaller size this time.

2. Uni Qlo is the Japanese equivalent to H&M. Japanese brands usually make clothes in really small sizes due to the fact that Japanese people usually tend to be quite short. Works for me, but if you're a big guy chances you'll find something that'll fit you are slim.

3. I got this jacket at a place called Hanjiro. They have stores all over Tokyo and sell both new and used clothes for both men and women.

4. Collect Point is a store in Harajuku carrying new clothes only. Gung Ho is one of the many brands sold there and unfortunately I don't know anything at all about this brand and can't seem to find anything on the internet either. This jacket only came in S, M and L. I got myself a Large but it rather looks like a Small and I think it actually might be too small for me. Liked it so much when I tried it on so I got it anyway.


5. B.I.G. tee from Japanese label Interbreed 6. Vintage Malcolm X tee 7. Used Champion sweater with buttons 8. Vintage sweatshirt

5. Interbreed is a street wear brand from Tokyo doing lots of remakes on famous logos. I got this B.I.G. Teddy Polo t-shirt at Blackanny in Harajuku.

6. Koenji is probably my favorite part of Tokyo. Calm area with loads of vintage stores and ramen places. I found this tee at A.M.M.S. on the same street as the PAL arcade.

7. Really like this style. Sort of like a mix of a sweatshirt and a cardigan... Or maybe more like a jersey cotton varsity jacket. Got it at a vintage store in Koenji called Hurry Up.

8. Chicago is a two floor thrift store in Harajuku. Lots of shit, but also a lot of great stuff for really great prices. Payed around 80 SEK for this sweatshirt.


9. Patch 10. Helmet, saddle and handlebar tape 11. Nike Air Max 1 12. Used Carhartt jacket (100 years 1989 - 1989) with matching button-on hood

9. Jannu-2 is a cool shop in Harajuku strictly focusing on varsity type clothing. You can buy all kinds of basic wear and have it customized with your own embroideries, patches and prints. Got this "F" to put on one of my varsity jackets. Pics coming once it's done.

10. Got the helmet (Sons of Anarchy style) at a crazy store in Shibuya that sells everything from beer to gold watches. Handlebar tape and saddle is from Tokyu Hands, a six floor (?) department store in Shibuya carrying all kinds of stuff. They've got there own bike shop with their separate entrance on one of the department store's corners.

11. Don't remember what the store where I bought these was called but it's on Takeshita Street in Harajuku.

12. Got this Carhartt jacket at Chicago in Harajuku (same place I got #8).

Other stores you need to check out in Tokyo is the Kapital stores and Beauty and Youth United Arrows.


This pic is for you Taro!

No comments:

Post a Comment